Thursday, October 17, 2013

Day 5: The Berlin Clubbing Experience

On Friday and Saturday I was able to experience both sides of clubbing in Berlin. There are the Hipster underground clubs which offer a cool scene but under the condition that you match their "Look" as well as the mainstream clubs which attempt to pack as many people into a space without thinking about how they will fit. The first club I went to is called Sisyphos. It is located in the East, which is where all the hipsters have decided to cultivate. It looks like this.
As we made our way towards the club it was made aware to me that this club rarely tolerated tourists, and it was going to be hard to get in given that I didn't speak German. So I was basically told to shut up if I wanted to get in. Which I did. Until we got to the bouncer, he spoke a few German words to Charlotte saying she seemed to be quite young but luckily she came up with some smart remark which managed to win his approval. In the midst of almost not making it in I was told to remove my soccer scarf because it was "not suitable for their club". Very Selective. Forgot to mention that we had brought friends who as well had some troubles with the bouncer, but managed to get in. Initially I had this feeling of success which was quickly drowned out by the amazement of the scene that lay before me. The club is styled to match what german call an "open air". Basically an open air is an outdoor party which usually happens in the summer. We entered a small shack which hosted a techno DJ. The scene was quite clear, the club wanted an array of people. Mohawks, Undercuts, Leather Jackets, Populars, Outcasts, they wanted an equal amount of everything. As the techno ran deep into the night people moved with the beat, fully taking in the music and the scene around them. Although I enjoyed the music I could help but think that this club was all a popularity contest. People were looking for a "Scene" or a look they could fit in to. I generally enjoyed this club, and the atmosphere, but was taken aback enough by that fact, that it was hard to feel comfortable.

On saturday night we went to club called Spindler and Klatt. Which looks like.....
We stood in line for about 45 minutes before even making it in to the club, but I was told there was assurance that we would be able to make it into the club given that we were suitable, paying customers. And that prediction turned out to be true. As soon as we entered the club we were met by loud top 40 music and raunchy looking girls who had had too much to drink. We waited even longer to check our coats, but once that was over we were set. We headed for the dance floor, where, just like in the picture we struggled to fit in a one square foot space. I got a very different vibe from this club. Though people were buying into a scene, it seemed they weren't there for the music as much for the people and drinks. The bar was constantly crowded with young partygoers attempting to buy drinks for their soon to be girlfriends for the night, or so they thought. I watched as time and time again boys attempted to talk to friends or strangers in an effort to get them to dance. After a beer and a few shots this was not as relevant, but still very out there. It was fun to dance to familiar hits and laugh watching weird people come and go. We danced all night long to tunes like wake me up, and my friends and I even attempted the Macarena with varying success. By 5 o clock I was pretty burnt out and ready to leave, so we evacuated the dance floor, got our coats and headed for the door. 

Berlin offers a scene for everyone, hipsters, mainstreamers, punkers, hippies and the elite. In some ways this seperation of scenes makes for a more interesting and enthralling night out. But in other ways the scene can become boring quickly due to the lack of overall variety. The underground scene in itself has shaped many genres, and is the primary reason why techno is still alive in Berlin. And the mainstream keeps tourists and mainstreamers at bay. I'd love to explore some more clubs and see what else I can find!


No comments:

Post a Comment