Tuesday, June 10, 2014

BERLIN CLUBS UPDATE: Club Der Visionaere

Amongst the rubble in Kreuzberg lies a club by the name of Club Der Visionaere. Known by most clubbers in Berlin, Club Der Visionaere is a unique open air venue at the foot of alt Treptow. I visited the last two weekends and figured I had to give my two sense about it. The club has a great chill out vibe, and music to follow. But to some clubbers who seek "The Berlin Experience" it may not be quite what you expect. You enter the club through literal hole in the wall, and walk out onto a dock which is usually super crowded. The first thing I noticed when walking in the door was... English. This isn't quite a Berlin crowd. Though it may be harsh, I have to say when you enter a club in Berlin and you hear a majority english, you can assume that 95% will be tourists. Though I have had great nights with other English speakers there is a clear difference between clubbing with Berliners and Auslanders.

From my experience those in Berlin appreciate the music rather than the scene. Though I'm not saying the notorious Berlin hipster isn't doing everything in their effort to try to be seen, I am saying that they know their music, they know what they like, and they won't just walk into a club to see the people, unlike tourists. When you search for clubs in Berlin Club Der Visionaere is up there in search results, so its really no surprise. But I digress. The first thing you see on your right is a little window, and within in it, two pioneer CDJS, Two technics and usually 2/3 intoxicated DJs, on your left the Canal, in the middle clabbers and further up, the bar. I have to say, the layout really is something, you feel connected to DJs, Bartenders and Clubbers the whole time you are there. I made my way past the DJS, Clubbers and to the bar to order drinks. Though the bar is pretty crowded, the service is super fast, and actually, not so expensive. Some of the bartenders are really dickish though, so don't expect any more. My friends and I ordered 3 pfeffis, drank them, and continued with long drinks, and headed for the dock.

The dock is a unique idea for a dance floor, but the sound system is lacking. I really enjoyed watching people talk, and hearing different accents all whilst meeting new people and having a good dance. Which brings me to the downside of tourists, they often don't like the music so they don't dance. This was a problem the first time we went, the only place where you really have people dancing is the indoors section next to the bar, and it is packed. So you get a weird mix of people shooting weird looks at each other, those who have never seen the Berlin Clubs. And those who are dancing. This is something to think about if you are interested in going. But for me, I was waiting the first night to see the sunrise. So despite the weird crowd we danced, and towards the end the mix was really solid and we were dancing pretty hard.

And then the sun began to peak over the spree and we couldn't resist. Although it was a cold morning, we had to be there for the sunrise. So we sat and chatted with some other english speakers and took in the fact that we were sitting on the river, in a club, at 5 in the morning, seeing a beautiful sight. That in itself is worth a visit. People began to filter out in the later hours. The only downside to seeing the sun is it gives you an idea of what time it really is, as opposed to a dark club where you can lose track of time and end up walking home at 2pm. It does take a toll on your brain. Unfortunately, I had to go home early, so I didn't stay past 6. But I enjoyed my time. . On my walk home I thought about the night and the place and came to the conclusion that Club Der Visionaere is great for what it is. Though the sound system was lacking and the crowd was nicht so gut, the night ended up being full of fun conversations and I got to listen to some music I wouldn't normally listen to.

If I had to rate it I'd probably give it a 3.5 out of 5. In addition I recommend going on a saturday, Friday was not as full and the empty space added to the akward no dancing thing. Ok more clubs to come! (I forgot to add+1 for DJs spinning actual vinyl even though CDJS were there, that's something I haven't seen so far in Berlin)

No comments:

Post a Comment